Perhaps it is because I am not getting the hang of meditation, or that I am so behind in miles that I am extra-worried about the state of our world, but this week’s serious list of Hot Links are for the moms and dads of 1st and 2nd graders especially, but also to everyone else, every single solitary American one of you, whether you are a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, Man, Woman, Gay, Straight, Rich, Middle, Bougie, Poor, White, Black, Yellow, Brown, Civil Servant, Professional, Soldier, Trust Funder, Young, Old, Employed, Infirmed Renter, Doctor, Lawyer, Cowboy, Feminist, Fundamentalist, Catholic, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Yogi, Mormon, Atheist, SNR, Married, Divorced, Brother, Sister, Cousin, Aunt, Uncle, Grandparent… etc. ad infinitum, so you know, ALL OF US.
This was the week that we started playing March Madness, but also dropped the Assault Weapons Ban from consideration in Congress.
Go back up to that list at the top and identify yourself to as many of those categories that fit for you and feel free to add your own. Because that is what a political strategist or a marketer does. They look at the demographics and look for trends that bend toward 51% majorities and then write a law or sell you a product that is offensive to the other 49%. Is that fair? Nope. Not one bit. Because each one of us is way more complex and sensitive – including the assholes among us – than these categories we agree to belong to.
And yet, week in and week out, we keep buying their bullshit and their rape culture and their guns. It’s 100% on us.
To the moms and dads of those 1st and 2nd graders, those of you who can really go there in your minds and hearts and conjure up what it must have been like for the Sandy Hook moms and dads, however much you don’t want to think about this, please think about those moms and dads who got the call that THEIR son or daughter, their…
isn’t coming home today and in fact, just got brutally murdered by a disturbed young man wielding a legally purchased assault rifle that pumped out 151 bullets in the span of 5 minutes with such sheer force that their small bodies were actually dismembered, to those moms and dads, please, please don’t just let this one go this week.
Your demographic is the 49% this week. And you’re about to lose.
(Image credit: Flag by David Treibs. http://www.comeandtakeit.com/)